FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Kia ora Koutou,
Over the next two weeks I plan to feature many of our winter sports teams in the newsletter, as the winter sports season is coming to an end. I will start with a big shout out to all the coaches and managers of these teams. A huge thank you for all your time, effort and support with the children. Thank You!! I will list the teams we have and want to include a photo and some information around every team.
I will begin with:
Congratulations to the year 5&6 hockey team 1 who won the Inter-School competition in their grade on Friday. They played Stanmore Bay in the final, winning 3 – 2. The team of Alex Colborn, Lily & Selina Glasgow, Katie McLiver, Tahlia Moore, Stacia Pelser and Abby Wenzlick are coached, managed and motivated by Maree McLiver. Well done, you can be so proud of yourselves. This is the first time Wainui School has managed to secure this trophy.
Congratulations also to team 2 who came second in their competition. They lost by 1 goal in the final to Warkworth. The team of Bella Browne Hale, Kate Flinn, Kasidy McCallion, Ella Newman, Dillon Ranby, Phoebe Walker and Grace Wallace-Pram were coached on the day by Nikki Browne Hale who was filling in for Dee Robinson.
Congratulations Cole Davies – This week Cole Davies is competing in the New Zealand MX Junior team racing at the 2018 FIM World Junior Motocross Championship in Horsham, Australia – a huge achievement!! Good luck Cole.
Strike Action (Teachers and Principal) – Thank you everyone for keeping the children at home on this day. At this stage there is no movement, further strike action or any further actual instruction as to what is next. Talks and negotiations continue this week. These are centering around
- The teacher shortage.
- More resources and staff to support children with additional learning needs.
- A pay jolt/ rise to salaries for teachers to address the teacher shortage.
Kaipara Schools Cross Country Competition – A team of year 7&8 students competed on Monday at Muriwai Beach in this event. Results included Thomas Steen winning the year 8 boys division, Grace Brothers gaining third place in the year 7 girls competition. Well done, I hear great races from you all.
Wainui intermediate information Evening – Wednesday 22nd August from 6.30pm – 7:30pm. Mr Irvine and myself will be at school to talk about the features of the programme we offer at Wainui School. Our school offers innovation, personalisation for children and something we believe is very unique in the Hibiscus Coast/ Kaipara area. The students leave ready for college confident, flexible, prepared digitally for the future. All are welcome.
Learning Conversations – If you have not held a Learning Conversation with your child’s teacher, please ensure that you make a time to meet together. There are very few in each class to catch up on.
Lost clothes, shoes – This week I have spotted a pair of red gumboots, about 10 T-shirts and loads of socks. Please claim these, we were getting good at looking after our clothes. Let’s try and do this again. Thank you.
Wai Factor is up to the semi finals. This has become such a wonderful tradition at Wainui School and is totally run by the students. The variety of acts and the confidence we observe is wonderful to see. Thank you year 8’s Chloe, Caroline, Caleb, Bojan, Reilly and Sam R for organising this for everyone.
Ka kite ano,
Sausage Sizzle Fundraiser – Friday 24th August. The Yr 5/6 Netball girls are having a sausage sizzle on Friday to raise money for their tournament in Raratonga. You can purchase a combo: sausage, juicie and brownie for $5.00.
Hoodies – Do you want a school hoodie with your child’s name on the back? If so we are taking orders in the office. Once we have approximately 20 we can process the orders.
Late to School – If you are late to school, please remember to come to the office to collect a “Late Pass” before going to class. This will help with the daily roll and prevent us from contacting parents unnecessarily, thank you.
Sharks Touch 2018 – Click this link, HBC Sharks Touch Newsletter 2018 for the registration form. Please register your interest by completing the form and dropping into the office. Payment is to be made direct to Sharks Touch. If you have any queries please contact Staton Ranby on email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auckland Respiratory Health Survey – Thanks to all the Year 2/3s who have returned their surveys. If you haven’t returned it yet and would like to participate in the survey, please drop your completed survey into the office – there is a small treat waiting for those who bring them back!
Quiz Night – Saturday 1st September – The Quiz Night is fast approaching – have you got your tickets yet?? You won’t want to miss out with this fantastic list of prizes up for grabs!
Live Auction Prize List:
- Family PhotoShoot: by Sam Mothersole.
- Luxury Fiji Experience: Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
2 x one way tickets for a helicopter ride from Nadi Airport to the Marriott.
- Off-Road Fun: Winger North Shore Jeep 4×4 Experience at Castaways Resort.
- Special Occasion Cake: from The Cake Engineer NZ.
- Sunny Northland Experience: Hole in the Rock, dolphin cruise 2 ad 2 ch/Choice Hotels 1 nights accommodation at any Choice Hotel in NZ or Australia.
- Kids Party Pack: Pedal Kart & Auckland Zoo family pass 2 adults 2 children Ten pin Bowling & Cinema 4 x movie tickets.
- Kid’s Fun Pack: Kids bike & Parakai Hot Pools6 x child passes to the pools & Passion Berry $50.
- Get Creative: Blue Lotus Tattoo Vouchers.
- Summer is Coming: Weber BBQ from Gatmans
- Helicopter Experience: North Shore Helicopters
Silent Auction Prize List:
|1. Hibiscus Jetski Hire – I hour|
|2. Northern Arena 1 term swimming voucher plus fitness vouchers and goodies|
|3. Davco Electrical 3 hour electrician|
|4. Sculptureum tickets|
|5. A ride to school in a police patrol car|
|6. Signed Blues Rugby Jersey North Harbour Rugby|
|7. Ride in General Lee|
|8. Cleaning Voucher|
|9. Yummy Yoga, Yoga mat, Surmanti Muscle relax|
|10. Trailer of Wood|
|11. Dingo Minidig Services in Wainui|
|12. Fabulous Flowers and Miss Coco lala & $100 Farmers Voucher|
|13. Your child to be the Principal of Wainui School for a day|
|14. Neville Brothers – Cartage|
|15. Golf Lessons from Golf Warehouse plus 1 round of golf for 2 players|
There will also be more prizes to win in the raffle on the night, along with best dressed prizes and prizes for the winning team! Get your tickets from the office now – $15.00 each.
Remember to email your sports results to Miss Ludwig in the office, email@example.com.
Wainui Gems Yr 2/3 vs Pinehill Unicorns. Lost: 0 – 6. POD: Pearl Glasgow.
Wainui Jets (Yr 3/4) vs Sunnynook Sundays. Won: 15 – 1. POD: Sophie Colquhoun and Harper Laurie.
Wainui Comets Yr 4 vs St Josephs All Stars. Won: 5 – 1. POD: McKayla McMaster. Sportsmanship: Te Ruawai Bayer.
Wainui Rockets Yr 5 vs Marina View Mysticks. Lost: 3 – 6. POD: Destiny Harris Hatley.
Wainui Tuis Yr 6 vs Huapai Rubies. Won: 10 – 1. POD: Kayla Paladin and Mia Thomson. Finished the competition rounds top of the table.
Wainui Yr 3/4 Boys vs Mairangi Bay. Won: 2 – 1. POD: Harry Browne Hale.
Wainui Blue Yr 5/6 Girls vs Birkenhead. Won: 2 – 1. POD: The whole team.
Wainui Heat Yr 6 vs Stella Maris Breakers. Draw: 10 – 10. POD: Regan Lowe.
At the last assembly, the following students received certificates for “Relational”.
- Kauri: Paris Headford, Sam Hussey. Writing: Caroline Gilpin.
- Kahikatea: Gabby Minton, Ben Thorpe. Writing: Honoka Seino.
- Rimu: Matthew Grieve, Te Pourewa Hape-Webby. Writing: Tara Phillips.
- Matai: Aidan Boardman, Reghan Portig. Writing: Emilie Adlam.
- Totara: Daniel Bell, Jade Manarangi-Clough. Writing: Bowen Jonkers-McAllister.
- Nikau: Emily Coupe, Ashton Russell. Writing: Alizay Clifford.
- Kowhai: Katelyn Burgess, Leonie Schweitzer. Writing: Ava Elliott.
- Kohekohe: Claudia McBride, Quinn Richardson. Writing: Meika Pope-Smith.
- Pukatea: Travis Dunning, Reece McDermid-Venter. Writing: Alice Jones.
- Rata: Flynn Becker-Crawford, Capri Fairhurst. Writing: Oliver Bell.
- Karaka: Mackenzie King, Summer Starr. Writing: Tripp Glasgow.
- Puriri Rua: Alexis McGregor, Archer Olliff. Writing: Mitchell Ibbett.
- Puriri: Kian McMillan Mayes, Leo Sawyer. Writing: Stella Robertson.
Our amazing Hellyer Cup Winners were Georgina Coupe (Puriri), Oliver Tiedemann (Puriri Rua), Dylan Catchpole (Karaka), Hamish Fincham (Rata) and George Clayton (Pukatea).
FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- Tuesday 21st August – Board of Trustees Meeting – 6.30pm.
- Tuesday 21st – Thursday 23rd August – Wai Factor Semi Finals.
- Wednesday 22nd August – Intermediate Information Evening – 6.30 – 7.30pm.
- Friday 24th August – Sausage Sizzle Fundraiser.
- Tuesday 28th August – Tough Guy & Gal Challenge – Yr 7/8.
- Wednesday 29th August – Friends of Wainui School Meeting – 7pm.
- Thursday 30th August – Interschool Cross Country Yr 5/6 – Shakespear Regional Park.
- Friday 31st August – Daffodil House Day.
- Friday 31st August – Tui Assembly – 9.15am.
- Saturday 1st September – Quiz Night.
KAUKAPAKAPA PONY CLUB 2018/2019 Season
WHEN: Saturday 25th August 2-4pm
WHERE: Club Rooms, Henley Road, Kaukapakapa
- Rallies are held Tuesday evenings (5:30pm to 7pm) along with monthly weekend rally
- We cater for all ages and levels of riders from lead rein upwards
- Adult ride held weekly on Mondays Non- members are welcome.
W: www.kaukapakapaponyclub.org.nz E: firstname.lastname@example.org
P: 021 028 22817 President (Alex Stradwick) or P: 021 061 6136 Secretary (Dee Howard)