Kia ora Koutou,
The rain and wind are back but let’s hope it will just fill the tanks and not cause any significant damage or worry to us this time.
The term has begun really well, routines back into gear to ensure learning is going strong and play is safe and fun. This week as many schools are across the country we are having a celebration on Friday for the “Kings Coronation”!! In true Wainui style, we will make it real for our children by doing some talking about the Commonwealth, the King and what this is and means. We will have a fun yet respectful coronation ceremony ourselves!!
Our first Whanau Hui – all families with Maori or Pasifika children are invited to our first Whanau Hui, a different way of consulting. Please come along this Friday 5th May at 3:30pm to start this talk. We have sent out a link with a few questions to get us started.
Mothers Day is fast approaching and this year we have our fashion show organised by Milly Mexted and the FOWS. Tickets are on sale for a fun Saturday afternoon.
- School Kitchen Reopened!!
- Gym Kids continues
- Kings Coronation
- Whanau Hui for all Maori and Pasifika Families Friday 5th May @ 3:30pm in the hall
- SHINE ON – Mothers Day Fashion Show
- Hatsushiba Ritsumeikan (the Japanese students) are coming back in August
WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING
The kitchen has three cooking stations each a different colour!! It is fun and functional!!
- Kitchen Opened!! – Last Friday we officially opened the renovated school kitchen! It looks amazing has all the features a brand new kitchen at home would have and more. We are thrilled with the outcome. Bella Kitchens designed and built the kitchen, they are a local company in Silverdale, thank you. Thanks to NZ GLASS for donating the splash backs. Thank you to Hideaway Bins, the Bretherton family at school have donated all the bins under the three sink stations and a laundry bin.
We all celebrated with a special morning tea of freshly baked sones and jam from the kitchen, cut the ribbon and had a some speeches from the student counsellors.
- Gym Kids continues – We are all loving Gym Kids, this continues this week. Juniors classes on Wednesday and Senior classes on Thursday in the hall.
- Kings Coronation Friday 5th May Morning – This is a moment in history. As a staff we have chosen to celebrate the moment in a Wainui way with a short enactment to symbolise the ceremony. We will all dress in our wedding finery some of the Royal family may well be spotted!!
- Whanau Hui Friday 5th May at 3:30 pm with all families with children identifying as Maori and/ Pasifika. Each family has been sent an invitation to a meeting on Friday after school. We are aware there are a lot of sports practices which we felt could be a great place to tie the meeting into. Come and korero (chat) about what we can do better at Wainui School. We want it to be informal but to be relevant for you and your family. Please let us know you are coming.
- SHINE ON – Mothers Day Fashion Show!! – Tickets can be purchased on Kindo, cash or Eftpos in the office or via online banking 12-3046-0155685-00.
Mothers Day Fundraiser -“you Shine with SHINE-ON”.
There is an amazing handbag in the raffle on the day – it’s on display in the office, come and have a look! The fashion show models are all getting very excited!!! Come and support this opportunity to bring your mums/ sisters/ friends and family to the show.
- Hatsushiba Ritsumeikan Junior High (the Japanese students) are coming back – It has been 3 years since we were able to host our friends from Hatsushiba Ritsumeikan. They are really keen to resume our partnership. They will arrive on 1st August and return on 11th August. This has been so successful with our families hosting students. The students from Hatsushiba Ritsumeikan have always loved coming to us. The students love experiencing our way of life, the simple things. You do not need to become a tour guide. Walking along the beach, feeding your animals, all are new experiences for them. You will as a family not be out of pocket either as there is some payment for food etc. Next week we will be giving every family at Wainui a pack on hosting a student and provide some more information. Families with young or older students all can host. Do not hesititate to ask myself of Mel Ludwig about being a host family.
Ka kite ano,
Hot Chocolate Fundraiser – The Year 8 students are in the process of fundraising in order to help fund the purchase of the Year 8 Leavers hoodies. They will run hot chocolate and biscuit sales in the second break on the following weeks:
Week 2 – Friday 5th May
Week 3 – Friday 12th May
Week 5 – Friday 26th May
Week 7 – Friday 9th June
The cost is:
Hot chocolate $2
Combo: Biscuit and Hot Chocolate $3
The year 8’s will visit each classroom to provide all children with further details. Thanks so much for your support.
Otago Problem Challenge – This year some of the children in Tui and Takahe Teams will be completing the Otago Problem Solving Challenge. If your child has opted to take part in this you will have received a newsletter from them. The Otago Problem Challenge is a mathematics problem-solving competition. It has been offered to schools throughout New Zealand since 1991 by the University of Otago.
Children participating in the competition attempt to answer five questions in 30 minutes. There are five sitting dates, which are done about a month apart. The children do the problems individually but they can share their answers afterward. All levels attempt the same problem set although there are separate awards for each of those levels.
All children taking part will receive a certificate of participation. Those in about the top 10% in each year will receive certificates of excellence and those in the next 25% or so will receive certificates of merit.
The five sitting dates are listed below:
1st May – (initial trial for students to see if it’s something they would like to continue doing)
Cardboard Needed – Tui and Takahe teams are looking for donations of cardboard for their Technology programme. Flattened boxes would be ideal. Please send to Sandy Blackburn in Nikau class.
Music Lessons – Maria O’Flaherty offers guitar and singing lessons during the school day, both individual and group. Please contact Maria for more details and bookings – firstname.lastname@example.org, mob 021 032 5287.
South Kaipara Schools Group Day Committee – Group Day is the “inter-school” competition for Ag Day lambs, calves and kid goats and is held in November each year. As well as Wainui School, other participating local schools include Coatesville, Dairy Flat, Helensville, Kaukapakapa, Parakai, Taupaki, Waimauku, Waioneke, Waitoki and Wainui Home Ed Group. Our current Wainui School rep is stepping down after several years on the committee. If you are interested in getting involved and becoming our Wainui School rep please contact the school office for further info, email@example.com or drop by the office.
– email your sports results to Miss Ludwig in the office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wainui Yr 3/4 Jets vs SBS Sharks. Lost: 4 – 6.
Wainui Yr 3/4 Stingers vs Wentworth Thunder. Win: 3 – 2.
Wainui Senior Yr 7/8 Basketball vs Kingsway Pulse. Won: 23 – 12. POD: Zach Lee.