FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Kia ora Koutou,
I hope everyone has been enjoying this fabulous autumn weather. To ensure there is no confusion Primary School teachers and Principals are NOT on strike this week it is only College teachers striking on Wednesday. Our negotiations are still happening this week. I will let you know when and what the next move for primary teachers is. Buses etc are all running for our children.
- Bike Track and Bike-a-thon
- Winter Sports Muster
- School Donation
- Learning Conversations
- School Assembly Friday 31st March
WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING
Bike Track and Bike-a-thon – We are all preparing for Bike-a-thon! The track has been fixed up over the weekend by our fabulous Board and FOWS members; Chad Mexted, Joe Long, Lisa and Braydon Vermeer. Huge thank you to you all!! Mr Irvine with their right hand bike monitors have done a test run and are very happy to see the damage by the floods and cyclones has been fixed up.
Bike-a-thon is one week away!! Wow it is looking great!! Thank you to Monique Ritchie FOWS member for organising all the prize tubs, skateboard, goodies and the bike!! We always try and give as many people we can a chance to be in the draws to win – you only need 3 sponsors to be in to win a fairly good prize!! Massive thank you to Pit Stop for the sponsorship.
https://wainuibikeathon.raiseit.co.nz/hub is the link to set up your fundraising page and see the totals we are achieving already. We are so fortunate to have generous families and friends all over the world who help us. Please let us know if you need any further help!! It would be so cool to have everyone enrolled at Wainui School have a fundraising page and a minimum 3 sponsors!! Massive thank you to everyone for getting behind this event. The programme for the day is being finalised but there will be a sausage sizzle drinks and more.
- Winter Sports Muster – Every year I am sure the enthusiasm increases and the ways of organisation improve. Thank you to everyone involved in supporting our children play and enjoy sport!! Special thank you to parents Milly Mexted (Netball), Cairin Long (Hockey) and Tanya Ledger (Basketball) for your commitment, hard work and for putting up your hands to head these areas. Thank you to Luke Cochrane and Halena Howard, the teachers who lead this area, they love seeing all the children wanting to play. It is awesome everyone is organised well in time for the competitions to start.
- School Donation – Thank you everyone for contributing your school donation already!! It makes such a difference to being able to meet the budget and do what we want to do!! If you haven’t please do so by the end of this term, it can be done via KINDO, internet banking 12 3046 0155685 00 or in cash/ eftpos in the school office.
- School Assembly Friday 31st March at 2:00 pm – This term’s last full assembly is headed by Kiwi team, we look forward to seeing their presentation, celebrating with our Hellyer cups and certificates and celebrating the value of Resilience.
- Learning Conversations – Are all on Wednesday 29th March (this week) you can have an appointment from 1:00-7:30 pm at night so there is a time for everyone. Please make the time to meet with your child and their teacher, they want to let you know what they are learning, what they are doing in their classroom, what you can help with!! School is still open as Mrs Bray and Mr Irvine along with the Teacher Aides are taking the afternoon programme enabling children to come and go to the Learning Conversations. It’s not too late to book a Learning Conversation. To book at time:
Click on www.schoolinterviews.co.nz and enter the Event Code: 3t7bq
Step 1: Enter your email address, parents’ full name, number of students you are booking for and the student’s name/s. Click the “Go” button.
Step 2: For each student, select your child’s classroom under the first dropdown box and select their teacher under the second dropdown box. Click the “Go” button.
Step 3: Choose the time/s you would like for your Learning Conversation/s by clicking on a time slot that suits you. Missing checkboxes mean that the time has already been booked by someone else. Click the “Go” button.
You have the option to print out a copy of the time/s you have booked, a confirmation will also be emailed to you. You can view, change or cancel your booking by using the link in the email confirmation.
Last week of term one 2023!! What a term! Two storms/ cyclones, school closures, flooding on the grounds and around our area!! That was a Friday night none of us will forget in a hurry!! But we have also had so many things to celebrate!! Learning, great routines, more learning!! Friendships, swimming, years 5-8 went surfing and snorkelling. We have all had a great term despite the challenges and look forward to finishing with some fun at Bike-a-thon and with an Easter House Day.
The lost property tub outside my office is suddenly over flowing, there is even a bag with yellow boys togs in!! Please rescue your clothes before we go on holiday.
Ka kite ano,
Kitchen items for sale – Freezer and washing machine – We have two items; a freezer (Daewoo) to giveaway and a washing machine that still goes, for a small donation.
The Freezer goes but the seals are faulty and will freeze up if you are not careful. Great for a second garage fridge if anyone wants one. You are welcome to come and view both items.
FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- Tuesday 28th March – Board Meeting – 6:30pm
- Wednesday 29th March – Learning Conversations – 1pm – 7:30pm
- Friday 31st March – Whole School Assembly – Kiwi Team – 2pm
- Tuesday 4th April – Bike-a-thon Day
- Wednesday 5th April – Easter House Day
- Wednesday 5th April – FOWs Meeting – Staffroom – 7pm
- Thursday 6th April – Last Day of Term 1 – normal finish at 3pm
- Monday 24th April – Teacher Only Day
- Tuesday 25th April – ANZAC Day Commemoration – Upper Waiwera Cenotaph – 2:30pm
- Wednesday 26th April – Term 2 starts for students
- Thursday 4th May – School Photo Day
Hockey Fundraiser – Our hockey fundraiser earned us $1,625.04. Thanks so much to Oliver Stollarz for manning the BBQ, you did a great job. I would also like to thank the FOWS members who were able to come out and help, the Wainui School hockey fundraiser could not have happened without you.
ANZAC Day Commemoration – Tuesday, 25th of April – On Tuesday, the 25th of April (the first Tuesday of Term 2), an ANZAC Day Commemoration will be held at the Upper Waiwera Cenotaph (705 Weranui Road) beginning at 2:30 pm. This commemoration is open to the public and it would be great to see our school families in attendance. Wainui School has a close association with the service at the Upper Waiwera Cenotaph, having been involved for many years following the closure of Upper Waiwera School in the 1970s. Many families at Wainui School, both past and present, have close connections to the cenotaph. At the conclusion of the service, a pipe band will lead the way to Maureen Patterson’s house, 1a McCathie Road, for a shared afternoon tea. If you intend to attend the afternoon tea, it would be fantastic if you could provide a plate. If you have any questions, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org