Kia ora Koutou,
WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING
A week is a long time sometimes isn’t it? Almost hard to believe that this time last week I wrote a newsletter that did not even warn us we were to make arrangements to go back into Level 3, COVID-19!! However here we are as Aucklanders social distancing and hand sanitising, some coming to work, some working from home and all of us wondering what will happen next. Will we find the source of the latest outbreak, will we be able to all return to school and our workplaces?
This newsletter is to update you all on what we have in place in our school and to ensure you all feel supported and have the help you need at this time as much as we can.
We understand for everyone being here again brings about different emotions from frustration, anxiety to anger, or sadness. There are some real positives for us all though, this time around, we know how to get back into home / distance learning. We can do this much more easily as everyone has upskilled, including you all at home and there are systems still set up from last time that are easily implemented and extended. At school, we have continued to hand sanitise, clean tables, bring our own drink bottles, and keep distance practice up. I have bullet pointed out the key points but please do not hesitate to call or email me at school or the classroom teacher, no question is too silly as this is new for all of us.
- All classes have a daily meeting with the teacher that can include lessons and new learning, or maybe to share what they have been doing or answer questions about the learning that has been set. If this is not working, or you are not sure how, please contact us. Some classes have two daily Meets!! Years 5 – 8 all use Google Meet and the first scheduled meeting time is usually 9.00am but can change to 10.00am. All of these students have their work set on Google slides enabling students to take ownership and work through their learning at their pace. The teachers are all available throughout the day for support.
- Years 1 – 4 all use ZOOM and also meet each morning and they will have tasks and expectations set.
- There are also many support resources online for you as parents to hook into and many have been shared by the teachers. A great one to start with as adults is the Ministry of Educations own links and support. I have attached this here. https://learningfromhome.govt.nz/.
Learning at School
- A bubble has been set up at school for all children needing school to be open as their parents are essential workers.
- The bubble is under 20 children, today we have 15 children here.
- The bubble has four teachers but they swap so each day there is two teachers, one Principal or DP and the caretaker.
- We use the bikes (great for social distancing) and also log onto the teachers online classes.
- Drop off is back to parents not leaving cars and not arriving before 8.30am.
A number of events are on hold and we will confirm when these will be rescheduled with you next week. These include;
- The Intermediate (Year 7 & 8) Information Evening
- Interschool Cross Country – Year 5 & 6
- sKids start date
Let’s hope we are all back at school. The potential start date back could be Thursday 27th August. This will not be the Interschool Cross Country so we will keep you informed as to the actual date, if this does occur.
Baby Chicks Pick Up – This is still going ahead. This Friday 21st August is the Hatch Day for the Ag Day Chicks. We will still be taking delivery of them as planned next Monday 24th August. To make the collection of your chicks contactless, please drop off your NAMED box this Friday 21st August on the hall deck between 9.00 am – 12.00 noon. The boxes will be put into the hall ready for the chicks arrival at school next Monday 24th August.
The chicks that you have ordered will be placed into your NAMED box and be ready for you to collect from the hall deck from 9.15am – 9.45am on Monday 24th August. You can park your car at the top of the roundabout and collect your chicks from the hall deck. Just like “click and collect”, only one person from each family, please. As per Level 3 protocols, we will be recording your name, date and time of arrival as you are coming onto the school grounds. Wendy Taylor will be there on Monday for this.
Your box will need to have a lid and holes for breathing, be lined with an absorbent material and, a blanket/ towel to cover the box. The chicks need to be kept warm until you get them home and under a heat lamp.
Attached is a guide to caring for your chicks. Looking After Chickens 2020
Thanks to those who have paid for your chicks. Chicks are $10 each, please make payment online to our school bank account by Friday 21st August.
Bank A/C No.: 12 3046 0155685 00
Reference: Child’s name and “Chicks”
Stay Safe and well in you bubble. We miss you all and look forward to once again being together!!
Ka kite ano,
Calendar Fundraiser – From Wednesday 2nd to Friday 18th September you will have the opportunity to order fabulous 2021 calendars, diaries, cards, sketch pads and mouse mats featuring your child’s artwork! You can see product examples at the office (when we all return to school). Children’s art will be displayed in classrooms Monday 31st August to Wednesday 9th September, then will be available to view at the office. We are also hoping to be able to email photos of class art, in case you can’t get to school.
All items are priced at $15 each: calendar, pack of 8 cards, diary, sketch pad, mouse mat. These make fabulous gifts for family members, or to have yourself as a keepsake of your child’s work.
Orders and payment are made done online via Kindo.
We will be placing our only order at the end of Term 3 – so ensure your order is made via Kindo by Friday 18th September. Items will be distributed in the first few weeks of Term 4 (depends on how quickly the printing company process our order).
There is still time to order a school Hoodie as we will delay putting our order in until we are back in Level 2. Please email the office, email@example.com
if you would like to order a hoodie with the students’ name, size of hoodie and what name you would like printed on the back.
Child – Size 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 is $42.00. If you want your name printed on the back it is an extra $6.00
Adult – Size S, M, L, XL is $46.00. If you want your name printed on the back it is an extra $6.00.
Ag Day – Friday 23rd October