Kia ora Koutou,
The bikes, track and helmets are ready!! We hope you are ready for BIKE-A-THON!
All we can talk about in the last week of term is “Bike-a-thon”!! What an awesome day our community has made! By the time you read this the event will be over but as I write this we are all in preparation for our day! Thank you everyone for sharing the fundraising page with all your friends and family in New Zealand and around the world. Please note, the cutoff for the RaiseIt Fundraising page is tomorrow, Wednesday 5th April at midday.
Thank you to the FOWS team – this event has been led and organised by Monique Ritchie and in school by Mr Luke Cochrane, thank you for your enthusiasm and organisation. Big thank you to our key sponsor and our loyal sponsor Simone du Bernard with the coffee and cone van.
The Raffle tickets for the bike will be on sale after school tomorrow at the drop-off/ pick-up zone from 2:30 – 3:10pm and Thursday morning from 8:30 – 9am when it will close. It will be drawn at the Bike-a-thon Prizegiving Assembly on Thursday 6th April at 2pm.
More photos from today:
This Week’s Newsletter Focus
- Learning Conversations
- Term 1 Housekeeping!!
- Term 2 Dates to be Aware of
WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING
Learning Conversations – What an amazing turnout – we aim to have 100% of families attend and yes we almost made it. These conversations are so important to us as they enable us all to be clear on where our children are and how we can work together to make the best progress possible. Please contact the teacher to make a time if you missed last Wednesday.
Term 1 Last Things –Please ensure all outstanding payments have been made before you go on holiday these include;
– Trips year 7&8 Surfing and Year 5&6 Goat Island Snorkelling,
– Swimming Lessons at Northern Arena, The Resilience Project books, and of course,
– Your School donation – $200 per child per year.
All can be paid directly into the school’s bank account ASB: 12 3046 0155685 00, via Kindo or Eftpos/ cash in the school office.
Huge thank you to everyone who has done this it makes a massive difference to operating the school.
Lost Property – The pile is now huge!!! Please come and claim your clothes, togs and towel, hats and shoes! It will all be taken to a charity in the holidays we will lay it out on the last day at the Bike-a-thon Prizegiving. They are laid out on a table by the school entrance here:
Term 2 Important information –
- Monday 24th April – MOE “Teacher Only Day” – Wainui School, Dairy Flat School and Orewa Beach School will meet at Orewa Beach School to participate in a day about the Refreshed Curriculum.
- Tuesday 25th April – ANZAC Day.
- Wednesday 26th April – Start date for students for Term 2.
- Friday 28th April – School Kitchen official opening party. We are thrilled and excited to be able to open our completely refurbished school kitchen.
- Friday 2nd June – Kahui Ako Ki Orewa Teacher Only Day. Orewa College, Orewa Primary, Orewa Beach, Dairy Flat, Silverdale, Nukumea, Ahutoetoe and Wainui Schools will all meet together at the College to collaborate as a community of educators and hear a keynote speaker.
Winter sports teams are almost all organised!! Huge thank you to teachers Mrs Howard, Mr Cochrane and Mr Irvine with our parent leaders, Melissa Mexted, Netball, Cairin Long, Hockey and Tanya Cummack-Ledger, Basketball for your incredible commitment towards creating the opportunity for so many teams to play sport this winter!!
Have a wonderful safe holiday everyone. I thank each and every one of you for contributing to the amazing place that Wainui school is, the community we create that we try to ensure is the happiest place to learn!!
Ka kite ano,
ANZAC Day Commemoration – Tuesday, 25th of April – On Tuesday, the 25th of April (the first Tuesday of Term 2), an ANZAC Day Commemoration will be held at the Upper Waiwera Cenotaph (705 Weranui Road) beginning at 2:30 pm. This commemoration is open to the public and it would be great to see our school families in attendance. Wainui School has a close association with the service at the Upper Waiwera Cenotaph, having been involved for many years following the closure of Upper Waiwera School in the 1970s. Many families at Wainui School, both past and present, have close connections to the cenotaph. At the conclusion of the service, a pipe band will lead the way to Maureen Patterson’s house, 1a McCathie Road, for a shared afternoon tea. If you intend to attend the afternoon tea, it would be fantastic if you could provide a plate. If you have any questions, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org Click here for the flyer Anzac Day – 2023
Wainui Basketball – Hello Wainui School Community! There’s nothing more important than fostering our local sports teams. Sports like Basketball provide students a safe place to get physically active, build confidence and skills.
The Wainui School Basketball teams are looking for contributions to help us fund team singlets for the school, water bottle carriers, balls, ball pumps, basic first aid kits and bags for games. Or if anyone has these items to donate to get us started that would be greatly appreciated.
We have an incredible 6 teams this year!
If you want something a little more customized in return for your contribution, we are very open to your ideas.
If you are excited by this please reach out to us at email@example.com , Tania on 0223438595 or Luke – firstname.lastname@example.org
TERM 2 Music Lessons – Maria O’Flaherty offers guitar and singing lessons during the school (individual and group. Starting week 1 in Term 2. Please contact Maria for more details and bookings – email@example.com, mob 021 032 5287.
Congratulations to Jack and Adam – The brothers competed in the annual North Harbour Mini Motocross “King of the North” event on Sunday and had amazing results.
- Adam came 1st place in the PW class (5 – 6 years)
- Jack came 1st place in the 65cc class (age 7 – 8)
Jack also competed in the 85cc class (age 8 – 11) and placed 9th. Connor Kerr, ex-student came 1st.
– email your sports results to Miss Ludwig in the office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Our victorious team!
Year 7/8 Basketball Team – This week our Wainui School Senior basketball team made it to the finals of the Stanmore Bay Leisure Centre Basketball League Y7/8. Our team is made up of Jakob Brown, Harry Browne Hale, Hamish Fincham, Noah Mash and Oscar Price. We have played all term with only 5 players and no subs. Heading into finals night we had lost only one game to Kingsway Thunder and guess who we were playing in the finals? You guessed it Kingsway Thunder! The first half of the game was neck and neck with each team matching the other basket for basket. However in the second half our superior defence and breakaways on attack down the court put us ahead and we eventually ended up winning 18-8. I have loved being part of this team and have enjoyed seeing all of us improve and having fun. I can’t wait to see how we go next term and if any other Year 7 or 8s would like to join us, please let the school know. Thanks for reading by Harry Browne Hale.
At the last assembly, the following students received certificates for “Resilience”.
- Puriri: Roman Dixon, Bowie Todd, Jetroy Sankey-Tritt (Respect).
- Pukatea: Ella Dadello, Koen Epp, Emily MacLennan.
- Kohekohe: Izzy Brothers, Jackson Neely.
- Rimu: Aimee Clough, Keanu Dezinho, Vogue Whittaker (Relational).
- Matai: Riley Krull, Mia Murphy, Sophia Rowntree.
- Koromiko: Braxton Calder, Hans Evans, Leonardo Soulsby.
- Kawakawa: Eryn Dicks, Harley Gaitau, Adelle Wells-Lakeland (Respect).
- Pohutukawa: Kobe Inger, Nyana Santos, Emma-Rose Waldrom.
- Rata: Aleigha Ritchie, Romi van Loggerenberg, Donald Lin (Respect).
- Kowhai: Vincent Callaghan, Ollie England, Eve MacLennan.
- Nikau: Hollie Fuller, Mitchell Ibbett, Emerson Buchanan (Respect, Relational).
- Totara: Jake Robertson, Ava-Rose Todd, Tavana McCulluch (Respect).
- Kahikatea: Melody Davies, Zach Lee, Talia Flavell (Reflective).
- Kauri: Tamati Bayer, Harlem Kockett, Ryan McCann (Reflective).
- SENCO: Millen Hamblyn, Parker Maunsell, Hayden Uhe.
- Our amazing Hellyer Cup Winners were Kauri Herbert (Koromiko), Xavier Grant (Kawakawa), Alicia Bailey (Pohutukawa), Hunter Mallon (Rata), Kristina Sulo (Kowhai), Emerson Buchanan (Nikau), Georgina Coupe (Totara), Isabella Lehmann (Kahikatea) and Jakob Brown (Kauri).
All Blacks Experience – SkyCity Precinct – April School Holidays. All school holiday details here https://www.experienceallblacks.com/school-holidays/
Hibiscus Coast Yoga Pranayam and Meditation – Click here for the Easy Yoga and Meditation Flyer.