FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Kia ora Koutou and Konnichiwa,
Today we welcomed a group of students from Hatsushiba Ritsumeikan. It’s amazing that it’s this time of the year again when a number of our families open their homes to welcome a student or two into their homes for 10 nights. What a fabulous sunny afternoon we had yesterday to welcome our group of 24 junior high students (12 & 13 year olds), plus their two teachers Mr Kawamoto, Mr Tumai and tour operator Ms. Shidono. They have come from Osaka in Japan to Wainui to experience our culture, practise English and make new friends.
I have included a link to their school website https://www.hatsushiba.ed.jp/ritsumeikan/
Take a bit of time to explore the website, you will see the school these students attend looks very different to our school.
This morning we formally welcomed our Japanese students and adults with a school Powhiri.
Disco – We are all looking forward to the annual disco, always held at the time the Japanese students are here, they love to dance as much as us!! The disco is run by Mr Irvine and the year 7&8’s to raise funds for their camp in term 4 and Graduation event. The theme this year is “ Lights, Camera, Action“. Tickets are $5.00 for a Regular ticket and there is a Premium ticket for $10.00 that enables the purchaser to not only enter the disco but also to have a juicey, lolly bag and 3 glow bands.
School Cross Country – Will be held this Friday, 3rd August. Let’s hope we have a nice day, but as Mr Irvine informed us we run rain, hail or shine!! Children run in their year groups. The timetable is attached here Wainui School Cross Country 2018.
Sarah Becker’s coffee and slices will be available all morning from 8.30am.
Whole School Assembly – Friday 3rd August, Kiwi team are the hosts for this assembly. We will be celebrating the value of Respect by awarding certificates in this area. We are also celebrating the fact we have a roll of 300 with welcome certificates for all new children at the assembly and then taking to the field for a special 300 photo by Miss Tarpey’s brother!! He works for the New Zealand Herald.
Court Resurfacing – The courts by the time you read this will be resurfaced! Thank you for your patience in using other areas in the school for practices. We are all very excited to see the transformation to our very old, cracked and worn courts and can’t wait to use them.
Principal and Teachers Strike Action – Is set for Wednesday 15th August. All NZEI (union members) have completed a ballot to see if the call is for a longer strike. We will know the outcome very shortly and will let you know if it is a full day or half a day. Please plan for this date and some inconvenience.
Learning Conversations – This term will be in week 3 the times we have changed to be from 3.00 – 6.00pm over the nights of Tuesday 7th, Wednesday 8th and Thursday 9th August. We are trialing this this term as the later nights of 8pm are harder in winter. If you cannot make these times please contact the teacher and find another time, we always aim for 100% attendance and do get this. The students are a part of the conversations and will be sharing their goals, learning maps/ vision boards. These three-way conversations are very important in the year of learning for your child.
To book your Learning Conversation/s click on www.schoolinterviews.co.nz and enter the Event Code: 26wzd
Step 1: Enter your email address, parents full name, number of students you are booking for and the students name/s. Click the “Go” button.
Step 2: For each student, select your child’s classroom under the first dropdown box and select their teacher under the second dropdown box. Click the “Go” button.
Step 3: Choose the time/s you would like for your Learning Conversation/s by clicking on a time slot that suits you. Missing checkboxes mean that the time has already been booked by someone else. Click the “Go” button.
You have the option to print out a copy of the time/s you have booked, a confirmation will also be emailed to you. You can view, change or cancel your booking by using the link in the email confirmation.
The Learning Conversations are being held on Tuesday 7th, Wednesday 8th and Thursday 9th August from 3.00pm – 6.00pm and are 12 minutes in length with 3 minutes in between Conversations.
If you need help making your booking/s please come to the office and ask. We will also have a computer set up there that you can use to make your booking/s.
- Lunches – We are all eating lunch inside if the weather is cold and wet especially. Juniors are all starting to eat earlier than the bell time of 12.45pm. All children sit either at their tables or on the mat with the teacher being able to really monitor what they are eating. This is working very well. Please let us know if you think it is a positive change.
- School starts – At 8.55am, thank you for making the effort to get to school at this time!!
- Pick up after school – Has been very busy with bad weather and more people. Thank you for being patient at these times, we do appreciate this.
Tech/ Sound System – Caleb and Sam are this year’s sound technicians and have developed very good skills to manage the sound system in the hall. They are in need of a builder/ cabinet maker/ handy man to help them make a bench with plywood they have already purchased, to attach to the sound system area made with palettes. Please let either myself/ Mr Irvine or the office know if you or someone you know could volunteer a few hours. Thank you.
Wai Factor – The first round of auditions are during lunchtime on Wednesday 8th August through to Friday 10th August. If you have entered, please see Chloe Kay in Kauri class this week and let her know if you need music. Good luck everyone!
Huge thank you to “Treescapes” who have been dropping off mulch to us regularly. It is wonderful to have this as it is transforming our gardens and pathways.
Ka kite ano,
Stu Duval – Artist and storyteller is coming to Wainui. He will be here for two full days Thursday and Friday 9th & 10th August of story Performances and inspirational workshops in cartooning and creative writing across all ages and levels. Magic! Thank you to those who have paid, if you have yet to pay, please send in your $5 per child to the office. Thank you.
Ag Day Chicks – Last day for ordering “One Day Old Chicks” for Ag Day is tomorrow, Wednesday 1st August. They will be arriving on Friday 17th August. Please bring your order form and payment to the office.
- 10 – 12 large pavers to make a pathway – if anyone has any left over from a project.
- Palettes, another 6 or 7 for building a few more compost bins. Thanks.
Thanks – The Tui team would like to formally thank the Adlam family (Emilie, Charlotte, Pete & Jenny) for their generous donation of a laptop to the Year 5 and 6 classes. We are very grateful for your kindness & can assure you we will put it to great use!
Quiz Night – Wainui School’s annual Quiz Night is coming up on Saturday 1st September. This year’s theme is Bollywood, so get a team together and get dressed up and come along to this fun filled night of all things trivial. Tickets are $15 and will shortly be available from the office. There will also be a live auction of great items on the night. Your friendly Friends of Wainui School team would love to hear from you if you have anything to donate for the auction, donations could include things such as vouchers for goods and services, accomodation or activities. All donations will be gratefully received! Please email email@example.com if you can help.
Remember to email your sports results to Miss Ludwig in the office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wainui Yr 2 vs Browns Bay. Won: 7 – 0. POD: Ella Marshall.
Wainui Gems Yr 2/3 vs Coatesville Primary. Lost: 4 – 0. POD: Izzy Glasgow.
Wainui Jets (Yr 3/4) vs Willow Park Firebirds. Draw: 4 – 4. POD: Katie Boe.
Wainui Comets Yr 4 vs Forrest Hill Keas. Won: 5 – 0. POD: Milla Glasgow. Sportsmanship: Eliza Dunning.
Wainui Rockets vs Mairangi Bay All Stars. Lost: 3 – 5. POD: Kaleisha Iremonger.
Wainui Tuis Yr 6 vs Helensville Takahes. Won: 11 – 0. POD: Kayla Paladin and Ella Newman.
Wainui Yr 3/4 Girls vs Milford. Draw: 0 – 0. POD: Neva Atkinson.
Wainui Yr 5/6 Boys vs Greenhithe Mixed Junior Sticks. Won: 5 – 0. POD: Dieter Bezuidenhout.
Wainui Yr 5/6 Boys vs Campbells Bay. Won: 3 – 0. POD: Jurgen Bezuidenhout.
Wainui Black Yr 5/6 vs St Josephs. Won: 2 – 0. They remain undefeated in the grading tournament – well done!
Wainui Black Y7/8 vs TNIS. Won: 7 – 1.
Wainui Blue Y7/8 vs Orewa. Won: 5 – 0. POD: Bojan Paladin. Thanks to Wainui Black team for lending 3 players, Maddison Ditchburn, Bojan Paladin and Tai Iremonger.
Wainui Yr 7/8 vs Kingsway Trailblazers. Won: 34 – 8.
At the last assembly, the following students received certificates for “Reflective”.
- Kauri: Ethan Garside, Charlie Wallace-Pram. Writing: Ella Woodcock.
- Kahikatea: Alyssa Gorshkova, Johnny O’Flaherty. Writing: Celeste Hamilton-Dowling.
- Rimu: Kate Frantzen, Selina Glasgow. Writing: Kealan Bouzaid.
- Matai: Aidan Boardman, Keelan Latham. Writing: Jurgen Bezuidenhout.
- Totara: Lily Glasgow, Talia Minton. Writing: Abby Wenzlick.
- Nikau: Rylan Latham, Oscar Price. Writing: Harrison Andrew.
- Kowhai: Zahara Patterson, Milly Rossiter. Writing: Tyler Newman.
- Kohekohe: Eliza Dunning, Meika Pope Smith. Writing: Dieter Bezuidenhout.
- Pukatea: Charlize Taylor, Jackson Wright. Writing: Ayla Lodge.
- Rata: Hamish Fincham, Nina Keller. Writing: Capri Fairhurst.
- Karaka: Summer Star, Hannah Wallace. Writing: Scarlett Thew.
- Puriri Rua: William Hewitt, Kayden Le. Writing: Lexi McGregor.
- Puriri: Georgina Coupe, Millie Dunn. Writing: Morgan Price.
FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- Monday 30th July – Thursday 9th August – Japanese Students from Hatsushiba Ritsumeikan.
- Tuesday 31st July – ICAS English.
- Wednesday 1st August – Last day for Chicks orders.
- Wednesday 1st August – FOWs Meeting – 7pm – All are welcome!
- Friday 3rd August – Lights! Camera! Action! School Disco – Juniors: 5 – 6.30pm, Seniors: 7 – 9pm.
- Tuesday 7th, Wednesday 8th & Thursday 9th August – Learning Conversations – 3 – 6pm each day.
- Thursday 9th & 10th August – Stu Duval – $5.00 per student.
- Wednesday 15th August – Parents Social Networking Event – Northern Union Gastro Pub – 7pm – 8.30pm.
- Saturday 1st September – Quiz Night.