FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Kia ora Koutou,
The countdown is now officially on!! We have less than three weeks of the year to go, the teachers are all putting the finishing comments and editing their end of year reports. We have our last events of the year to look forward to and the pool will open at the end of the week.
WHATS BEEN HAPPENING
Taupo Cycle Challenge – Five year 7 &8 girls, five dads, and 3 teachers, plus some family supporters all headed to Taupo last Friday for the annual Taupo Cycle Challenge. What an amazing weekend we all had participating in this event. The event attracts 1000’s of cyclists from all over New Zealand and the world. It is extremely well organised and fun to be a part of. We were also fortunate to have the best weather possible, still, calm and no sun! We had our goals and were all participating in the 80km halfway round Lake Taupo challenge. Neve Roe, Jessie Brothers and Haruko Seino all completed their goal of under 3 hours!! Just fantastic! McKenzie Suckling and Riley Irvine were competing for the first time this year and made it in under four hours. I had the same goal, just to finish and made it in under 4 hours!! We were all supported by Mr Irvine, Mrs Taylor and dads; Isaac Brothers, Mitch Roe, Yoshi Seino and Peter Suckling. Very special thank you to Mr Irvine for all your organisation, motivation, and planning. Mr Irvine has already rebooked accommodation for next year so think about joining the challenge!!
Is a very busy week of activities!!
Interschool Athletics – Tuesday 28th November – A team of 41 year 5-8 students are competing in the interschool competition at Millwater park. This follows a very successful day at Sinclair Park in the school athletics. We wish the team well in all the events of, sprints, long jump, high jump, discus and shotput.
Music Performance Assembly – Wednesday 9.15 – 10.15am followed by morning tea in the staffroom. Maria O’Flaherty, Ross Hutchison’s students have already been confirmed as playing. If others who learn any instrument wish to perform please let me know. These are always wonderful sharing times.
Year 1-4 School Athletics – Friday 1st December – On Friday all junior and middle school students will be participating in their Athletics at our own school. Parents are all welcome, there will be a BBQ with sausages, juicies and our coffee machine will be going. We all look forward to a fun day. The winners here do not compete at an interschool event.
A good week to return all readers, library books to school and in return collect all clothing, shoes and lunch boxes that may have been left at school. This will help us with the end of year clean up.
Last week is:
1. Graduation for the year 7&8’s – The theme is Winter Wonderland and it’s already so well organised by a fabulous group of parents with Mr Irvine.
2. Christmas in the Country – This is a fun, family event, bring a picnic, buy a pork roll and enjoy Christmas songs and items. For more details see our website.
3. Prizegiving – Thursday of the last week. We celebrate all achievements for the year as identified by the teachers and myself. This is always so very difficult to make these decisions. Please believe that we make every decision as to who we award a certificate or a cup to with extreme thought.
FOWS (Friends of Wainui School) – Have just completed their first year as the revamped PTA!! What an outstanding effort for the year. They have raised over $42,000, this is without Christmas in the Country. FOWS had their last meeting of the year last week and have tentatively set dates for all the agreed events for 2018! This is outstanding organisation from a small group of hard-working mums!! It would be great to have more join this group to help “share the workload”. Think about this for next year, give a few hours a month, or at an event to help and maybe we could make even more funds for the school.
Ka kite ano,
Motocross – Hunter Hadley and Hunter Taylor travelled to Christchurch at the beginning of November to take part in the NZ Mini Motocross Nationals.
Hunter Hadley got 3rd in the Intro 50MX 4-7yr class.
Hunter Taylor got 5th in the 9-11yr 65cc support class.
Auckland Champs were held last weekend.
Hunter Hadley got 2nd on the Intro 50MX 4-7yr class.
Oliver Smith got 1st in the Intro 50 Trail 4-8yr class.
News from the Librarians – Hi Everyone, this week the library is hosting a food drive for people in need. If you could please bring in a can of food to the library, it would be much appreciated. We will be giving this food to the Salvation Army to help families throughout the Christmas holiday period.
We will also be hosting fun Christmas activities all week at lunch time. Come and check them out!
Kind regards, The Library Team.
– email your sports results to Miss Ludwig in the office,firstname.lastname@example.org
At the last assembly, the following students received certificates for “Resilient”.
- Kauri: Sam Hussey, Katie Wicks. Writing: Madi Goodger.
- Kahikatea: Dillon Finnegan, Jessie Holmes. Writing: Paris Headford.
- Miro: Jake Glasgow, Jasmine Haswell. Writing: Honoka Seino, Abby Wenzlick.
- Rimu: Ali Campbell, Presyus Searle-Tulevihi. Writing: Julia Buchajczyk.
- Matai: Serenity Harris Hatley, Cameron Heaton.
- Matai Writing Group: Daniel Bell, Kealan Bouzaid, Ty Browne Hale, Matthew Grieve, Ricardo Hawken, Will Houghton, Keelan Latham, Regan Lowe, Tommy Rossiter, Conner Southwick, Marley Straka.
- Totara: Kelly Mayes, Ryder Olliff. Writing: MacKenzie Allen.
- Nikau: Emilie Adlam, Troy Etherton. Writing: Daniel Gorshkov.
- Kowhai: Zali Cooke, Keira Sams. Writing: Claudia McBride.
- Kohekohe: Reece McDermid-Venter, Oliver Smith. Writing: Capri-Rose Fairhurst.
- Pukatea: Nina Keller, Ella Marshall. Writing: Ella Brea Wells-Lakeland.
- Karaka: Eva Sparkes, Scott Tucker. Writing: Charlotte Adlam.
- Puriri: Scarlett Thew, Hannah Wallace. Writing: Ashleigh Lloyd-Read.
Our amazing Hellyer Cup Winners were Noah Moss (Kowhai), Morgan Keller (Nikau), and Phoebe Walker (Totara).
FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- Wednesday 29th November – Music Performance Assembly – 9.15am.
- Thursday 30th November – Tu Maia Festival – Orewa College.
- Friday 1st December – Junior School Athletics – At school.
- Tuesday 5th December – BOT Meeting.
- Friday 8th December – Takahe Assembly – 2pm.
- Monday 11th December – Year 8 Graduation – School Hall.
- Wednesday 13th December – Christmas in the Country.
- Thursday 14th December – Prizegiving.
- Friday 15th December – Farewell Assembly.
- Friday 15th December – Last Day of Term 4.