FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Kia ora Koutou,
As we well and truly head into Autumn and the end of daylight saving this coming weekend, we can bask in the feeling we have had an amazing summer, endless hot sunny days, despite the huge downpour of rain last Monday, which saved a lot of us from running out of water!! For those of you who had some flooding or washouts, I hope you have managed to rectify this damage without too much trouble. We were very fortunate at Wainui School, all our new drainage and refurbishment of the learning spaces over the last few years around the school has worked really well ensuring we had no flooding and were able to keep dry.
Unfortunately, there was a power cut in the afternoon, but this was under the 2-hour threshold we have as a school to keep open and we now carry extra bottled water and have other mitigation procedures in place for a short power cut.
This Weeks Focus:
- Covid Update
- Welcome back to Mr. Ng
- Winter Sports Registrations
Last week’s announcement of changes to mandates and procedures for New Zealand and what these changes mean for Wainui School and our operating entail:
- Removing the limits for outdoor gatherings – Friday 25th March 11.59pm
- Raising the limit for indoor gatherings to 200 – Friday 25th March 11.59pm
- Removing of requirements around vaccinations, vaccination passes, and contact tracing – Monday 4th April, 11.59pm.
- Schools are still operating in Red Level Phase 3, therefore we keep to all the mitigation procedures that have been developed over the term. To remind us all these are:
- Wearing of masks by staff and all students over Year 4 Level.
- Keeping visitors to a minimum inside.
- Keeping groups sizes indoors limited to 200.
- Outside we can have as many as we like, but until the end of term, we have designated areas to play and minimise the mingling.
- High levels of hygiene with hand sanitising and cleaning surfaces are expected in our school.
- The current pandemic is still with us and we have had a high number of children in the Junior area of the school affected this week. Symptoms to be aware of are, as well as a sore throat, runny nose, headache, a sore tummy, and diarrhea.
- Thank you everyone for continuing to keep us updated on your positive or isolating status, this is so helpful.
- Today we have recorded our highest number of positive cases 22%, 25% of us are at home, so please watch for these symptoms, especially the sore tummy in the younger ones.
How exciting, we will be able to have everyone here, yes parents you can join us on the day as it is an outside event. It has been such a long time since we have been able to do this. Have you been able to log on to Raise it. WOW didn’t Mr. Irvine look great at Friday’s assembly in the pink tutu and crazy blue hair rocking around on a bike! Why was that? OH, that’s right! BIKE-A-THON is on Tuesday 12th April!! – 14 days left – LET’S GO!!
FOWS Update – Thank you and well done to all the students who have already signed up! So far, we have 117 students and just over $7,680 dollars in sponsorship – what an amazing effort. We have another spot prize this Friday – a totally rad Digital Sports Camera!! Sign up and get at least 1 donation by Friday 8am to be in the draw!! If you haven’t signed up yet – head to wainuibikeathon.raiseit.nz. We understand that online may not be accessible for every student, so we will have paper forms for cash donations and sponsorships available in the office. Please contact or collect from the office if you would like this. In order to make this event a huge success, we are seeking support from key local organisations. We are looking for financial support as well as prizes to help encourage our students to raise as much as they can for our Bike-A-Thon.
Sponsorship options below:
• Gold Corporate Sponsors $100 – $500
• Prize donations – Anything gratefully received
Prize donations – we would very much like to focus our prizes for this event around physical activity or opportunities for spending time with friends and whanau. We recognize our supporters in our weekly school newsletters, our Facebook page, the event itself, and of course our online fundraising website too. Any physical donations/vouchers or financial support can be sent to the school office or contact FOWS at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can arrange collection. ANY donation is greatly appreciated!
Winter Sports Registrations there are still spaces left in the hockey, flippa ball, and basketball areas. Netball appears to be organised. See below the registration sign-up area for these sports. Thank you, Mrs. Howard and Miss Robinson for getting this organised and all the mums, dads, and caregivers who have volunteered to coach or manage a team. Won’t it be great to have these sports going this year?
It will be daylight saving in place and getting cooler. Please label warm clothes, we are starting to get a small pile of lost property, it has two pairs of shoes, two sweatshirts in so far!! We have done well this term taking our belongings home. We will keep the pool open and see how we go. I know many classes and children are making the most of our wonderful resource to improve their swimming. It will be even cleaner thanks to the Zodiac robot cleaner donated by the van Dam family with DEEPEND pools.
Wow, I have just popped onto “Raise it” the fundraising page for Bike-a-thon, wow wow wow!!! What an amazing community of supporters we have!!! This is a great way for the extended family and friends to support thank you!! This is less than half of the school!!
Ka kite ano,
FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- Monday 4th April – Dance Curriculum (whole school)
- Tuesday 5th April – BOT Meeting – 6.30pm via ZOOM
- Wednesday 6th April – Vision and Hearing Testing – 9.30am – New Entrants who have not had a B4 School Hearing and Vision test at Pre-school. “Children do not need to be tested if they have completed the B4 School Check”
11.00am – All Year 7 students
- Friday 8th April – Whole School Assembly – 2.00pm – ZOOM
- Tuesday 12th April – Bike-A-Thon – More information to follow
- Thursday 14th April – End of Term 1
- Friday 15th April – Good Friday – Public Holiday
Winter Sports – Winter Sports are around the corner and registrations are ready to be completed. Please click on the links below to register your child. Please note the netball teams are now filled and Coaches and Managers will be in contact with each team in due course.