FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Kia ora Koutou,
A lot can happen in a week so they say!! This week the focus has to be on:
- Swimming – Years 1-4 Carnival and Years 5-8 Northern Arena
- The Strike
- Learning Conversations
- Whole School Assemblies
WHATS BEEN HAPPENING
- Bike-a-thon Tuesday 4th April – How exciting, our annual fundraiser we have all come to love so much was launched last Friday!! This is our first whole school event organised by the FOWS group, led by Monique Wilcock and teacher Mr Cochrane. We plan to have food for sale during the races and opportunity for all parents and caregivers to join in the fun. https://wainuibikeathon.raiseit.co.nz/hub is the link to set up your fundraising page and see the totals we are achieving already. We are so so fortunate to have generous families and friends all over the world who help us. Please let us know if you need any further help!! This event is sponsored by Simone du Bernard of Harcourts Cooper & Co!! Simone has been our key sponsor for many years and was right there to help build and support the bike track when it was initially designed and built!! There are prizes for various categories donated by Simone, a huge thank you from all of us.
Bike Track – This was damaged in the last flood!! I am in the process of an insurance claim but if there is anyone with experience of building bike tracks could you please contact me.
THIS WEEK (Swimming and Striking!)
- Swimming – It’s a big week for swimming with all areas of the school having a key focus on this area of the curriculum.
- Years 1-4 Swimming Carnival Wednesday 15th March – Looks set to be a great event with all the years 1-4 ready to show their water safety skills. Please be mindful there is not a huge amount of room “poolside” so we will need to squeeze in as spectators. We are so fortunate to have a pool and be able to swim regularly. The maintenance of the pool has been fantastic with the robot generously donated by the Van Dam family and their business “Deep End Pools”. Click here for further information Junior Swimming Carnival 2023- Information For Parents
- We have a Hockey fundraiser also on Wednesday, 15th March. Second hand book sale – all books $2 except book sets $6. There will be a sausage sizzle on the day and juicie sale. Please come support Wainui Hockey teams.
- Years 5-8 Northern Arena – Over the next two weeks all the years 5-8 have the opportunity to swim every day at Northern Arena receiving lessons from experts!! The price negotiated is a fantastic deal but we do need everyone to contribute their part. (if this is too difficult please let us know.) Swimming is so valued at Wainui School, we are a nation of water lovers and users (in, on and under). We have so many opportunities throughout our life to do so, being able to swim is so important in our country. As we are all aware the drowning rate has increased hugely over the years. We want to make sure our children get this opportunity, to learn not to fear water, feel safe and can swim.
The timetable has been carefully worked out, please ensure if you swim first in the morning you are not late to school.
- Strike – Both teachers and principals across the country are striking on Thursday 16th March. This is about pay and conditions, many of us will be travelling into the city to join the thousands of others walking down Queen St. The school is open for supervision only. The bus service is running who are here for supervision, please let the office know if you need the bus service on Thursday.
- Learning Conversations 29th March 1:00 – 7:30pm – We have a target to ensure every family has an opportunity to meet the teacher with their child in a learning conversation. This special time is highly valued, please ensure you book your time through school interviews, see info below. The partnership of learning is proven in research to work best with positive relationships between parents, the school and the child. If you cannot come on this day please make another time to meet with your teacher, as this is so important to us. To book your Learning Conversation:
Click on www.schoolinterviews.co.nz and enter the Event Code: 3t7bq
Step 1: Enter your email address, parents’ full name, number of students you are booking for and the student’s name/s. Click the “Go” button.
Step 2: For each student, select your child’s classroom under the first dropdown box and select their teacher under the second dropdown box. Click the “Go” button.
Step 3: Choose the time/s you would like for your Learning Conversation/s by clicking on a time slot that suits you. Missing checkboxes mean that the time has already been booked by someone else. Click the “Go” button.
You have the option to print out a copy of the time/s you have booked, a confirmation will also be emailed to you. You can view, change or cancel your booking by using the link in the email confirmation.
- Whole School Assemblies – These are our way of sharing a teams work through performance. Congratulations Pukeko team, we loved your performance last Friday!! It was fabulous to see so many people at the assembly sharing the celebrations. Well done Pukeko team teachers!!
Ka kite ano,
FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- Monday 13th – Wednesday 22nd March – Yr 5-8 Swimming Programme at Northern Arena
- Wednesday 15th March – Yr 0-4 Water Safety Swimming Carnival
- Wednesday 15th March – Book Sale, Sausage Sizzle & Juicie Sale
- Wednesday 15th March – FOWs Meeting – Staffroom – 7pm All Welcome
- Thursday 16th March – Strike Day – school only open for supervision
- Friday 17th March – Final day to register for Winter Sports Teams
- Wednesday 22nd March – The Resilience Project Parent Evening – 6pm
- Friday 24th March – Winter Sports Muster – 3:15pm – 4pm
- Tuesday 28th March – Board Meeting – 6:30pm
- Wednesday 29th March – Learning Conversations – 1pm – 7:30pm
- Friday 31st March – Whole School Assembly – Kiwi Team – 2pm
- Tuesday 4th April – Bike-a-thon Day
- Thursday 6th April – Last Day of Term 1
Registration for Winter Sports Last Week – Just a reminder to register your interest for Winter Sports at Wainui School, links to online forms are listed below. The registration cut off date is this Friday 17th March. If you have any questions, please feel free to email Mr. Cochrane at email@example.com. Please consider managing or coaching a team!
Winter Sports Muster Day – Friday 24th March – On Friday 24th March – 3.15pm-4pm we are having a Muster afternoon for winter sports. This is a great opportunity for students already signed up and their caregivers to learn more about winter sports at Wainui school- Hockey, Netball, Basketball and Flippa ball. We will discuss the different sports programmes at the school, including which team each student will be in, information about practices and games, and opportunities for adults to volunteer as coaches or managers. We need coaches and managers to run teams otherwise we won’t be able to have them. We will have drills and tips to help with coaching. It is also a great chance for new players to get a better understanding of different sports and what they can expect throughout the season.
– email your sports results to Miss Ludwig in the office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wainui Y7/8 Basketball Team vs Wentworth Tigers. Won: 31 – 7.
At the last assembly, the following students received certificates for “Relational”.
- Puriri: Zavier James, Maggie Jarvie, Heidi Wells-Lakeland.
- Pukatea: Ashton Daverne, Romeo Kneijber, Carter Lentz.
- Kohekohe: Stanley Bosher-Milne, Tilly Drinkwater, Remy Hollier.
- Rimu: Isabella Bartrom, George Frost, Elēa Johnson.
- Matai: Max Durling, Evianna Kadlec, Harley James (Resilience).
- Koromiko: Landen Semenoff, Skylah Sweetman-Jones, Yael Adiv Blanario (Resilience).
- Kawakawa: Xavier Grant, Oliver Smithies, Vincent Bryant (Respect).
- Pohutukawa: Eva Albert, Jeandré Botha, Harry Grogan.
- Rata: Teddy Callaghan, Ella Vermeer, Ewan Scott (Resilience).
- Kowhai: Camryn Colquhoun, James Gray, Skyla Flavell (Resilience).
- Nikau: Leah Andrell, Jack Cooper, William Hewitt (All Values).
- Totara: Jadon Linton, James Pallatt, Stevie Whittaker.
- Kahikatea: Amelie Graves, Ayla Lodge, Hamish Fincham (Respect).
- Kauri: Harry Browne Hale, Madie Gooding, Oscar Price.
- SENCO: Tamati Bayer, Ayla Lodge.
- Our amazing Hellyer Cup Winners were Sailor Sandwell (Puriri), Sophie Starr (Pukatea), Poppy Matafeo (Kohekohe), Makenna Campbell (Rimu) and Milo Laurie (Matai).
Scratchpad Albany April Holiday Programme – Click link for the flyer. School Holiday Programme (Albany)